You are here

How do I become an instructor?

You must attend a minimum 16 hours firearms instructor school through the National Rifle Association (NRA), Oklahoma Rifle Association (ORA), Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training (CLEET), federal law enforcement agency or other professionally recognized organization. Afterwards, you will submit your school certificate, CLEET application and $100 to CLEET.  (Call 405-239-5110 or 580-310-0871 to receive a packet from CLEET.)   Once certified as an instructor, CLEET will send you a CLEET SDA instructor certificate.  

You can apply online.  Photos can be uploaded and credit card payments can be made online as well.  You will then take your summary sheet and a copy of your CLEET issued SDA instructor certificate to the sheriff's office in your county of residence.  The sheriff will take your fingerprints and submit the required items to the OSBI. You can download the OSBI application and submit two passport photos and $100 fee along with a copy of your CLEET certificate through your sheriff's office.

For more information, please visit the Instructor page.

Renewing instructors should apply online and send the summary sheet and a copy of the current CLEET instructor certificate to:

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
Self-Defense Act Licensing Unit
6600 North Harvey Place
Oklahoma City, OK  73116