You are here
Careers at the OSBI
A Brief History
In 1925, Governor M. E. Trapp recommended the creation of an agency of special investigators to combat gangs of outlaws that roamed the state of Oklahoma terrorizing its citizens. As a result, the legislature appropriated $78,000 to establish the State Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation, now known as the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. To this day, the OSBI remains the premier law enforcement agency in Oklahoma protecting our citizens and supporting our public safety partners. We strive to set new standards of excellence in investigative, intelligence, information, and forensic services all the while maintaining our core values of Trust, Integrity, and Respect.
The OSBI offers a wide variety of careers including agents, criminalists, IT, support and information services personnel, internships, practicums, and temporary and student positions.
In addition to working for the state’s premier law enforcement agency, the OSBI offers a first-class employee benefits package. If you are interested in discovering what careers may be open to you, see the How to Apply or Current Job Openings box below.
There are several recruitment flyers available for job fairs, bulletin boards, etc. Click here to access.
- Benefit allowances for health, dental, and vision plans
- Flexible spending accounts
- Paid holidays
- Paid vacation
- Paid sick leave
- Flexible work schedules
- Longevity pay
- Accrued leave
- Generous retirement benefits
- Employee discounts
- Learning & development opportunities
- Wellness programs
How to Apply
Follow the steps outlined below to discover your place on our team.
- Review the job openings website or the Current Full-Time Job Openings box below to find available jobs.
- Complete the official State of Oklahoma employment application online by clicking the APPLY button on the job of choice.
- Once submitted, your application will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications, and you will be notified via email if you have completed all requirements or if you need to take a test for the job.
Current Job Openings
- Administrative Technician (3 - SDA)
- Administrative Technician (2 - CHRU)
- Administrative Technician (CSU)
- Network Technician
- Temporary Administrative Technicians (Training Unit, SDA Unit, Cold Case Unit)
- Law Enforcement Communications Specialist
- Secretary III (ICAC Unit)
- Criminalist (NERL - Tahlequah)
- Materiel Management Officer (2)
- Crime Reporting Field Representative
- Physical Evidence Technician
The OSBI's Criminalistic Services Division, the Oklahoma Information Fusion Center (OIFC), and the CIU participate in an unpaid practicum program accepting applications from all universities. Student Practicums are open to those who are full-time students pursuing a bachelor's degree (must be at least a junior or senior) and to graduate students. For more information about a practicum program contact OSBI Human Resources. A limited number of practicum students are utilized each year, and the competition is usually intense.
The OSBI's Investigative Services Division does not currently utilize an internship program.