You are here
State Incident-Based Reporting System
The OSBI has been working with a number of law enforcement agencies across the state to set up access to SIBRS and train them to use the system. Currently there are over 300 active SIBRS law enforcement agencies. In interfacing with SIBRS, these agencies fall into two different categories, they are:
- Agencies that use the SIBRS system as a fundamental Records Management System (RMS) are referred to as Hosted agencies. Upon signing on to the SIBRS portal, a hosted agency submits its customized incident reports via the Internet.
- Non-Hosted agencies will be able, with the use of an interface, to electronically upload incidents from a RMS. RMS vendors interested in developing such an interface should click on the Technical Documentation link above for information regarding specific requirements.
Incident Reporting through SIBRS
Detailed incident reporting available in SIBRS is referred to as full reporting or TYPE 1 reporting. The FBI sometimes refers to full reporting as "Enhanced NIBRS Reporting".
Benefits to Law Enforcement Agencies
- No cost RMS and incident reporting system for smaller agencies*
- Electronic batch submission portal for larger agencies
- Secure, fast electronic submissions
- Provides reporting capabilities to participating law enforcement agencies
- Additional reporting capabilities to notify the OSBI of intelligence incidents
- Automatic submittals for required reporting to the FBI
- Provides a repository of incident reporting
- Enables your agency to control employee access to SIBRS
- Enables your agency to share data with other law enforcement agencies